A UNIQUE PLACE ON EARTH
Inaugurated in 1996, the Environmental Campus Birkenfeld [ECB] is part of the Trier University of Applied Sciences that offers interdisciplinary higher education in the fields of;
a.) Environmental Planning & Technology, and
b.) Environmental Business Management & Law.
Home for more than 2700 students specializing in environmental education, ECB is designed as an incubator and a demonstration site for environmental technologies and innovations. ECB’s eco-‐compatible building stock complemented by its sustainable utilities help achieve the ‘Zero Emission Campus’ status, which was the first of its kind in Europe.
- 100% renewable heat supply based on waste wood, biogas, and solar thermal
- 100% renewable electricity supply based on biomass and PV [includes; 492 kWp roof-‐ and façade mounted PV covering up to 40% of the electricity demand]
- 100% renewable cooling based on geothermal, solar adsorption and biomass
- Highest standards of energy efficiency achieved by; passive and plus-‐energy buildings, energy efficient in-‐ and out-‐door lighting, building automation installations
- Sustainable water resource management activities include; rainwater harvesting and reuse, rainwater infiltration, waterless urinals etc.