TRAILBLAZING IN WASTE MANAGEMENT
The Central Waste Management Kaiserslautern [CWMK] serves the administrative territory of Kaiserslautern with 250,000 inhabitants. The solid waste management is entirely handled by CWMK, an ISO 9001 & 14001 certified company, in which, Mechanical-Biological Treatment [MBT] of waste and the co-generation of heat and electricity [CHP] of biomass is done on-‐site at an 88 ha facility.
The centralization of the waste management to handle large volumes of biomass waste efficiently and effectively with state-of-the-art technologies achieving substantial economic, environmental and social benefits is clearly demonstrated at CWMK.
- The annual utilization of biomass including matured timber, fresh timber, and green waste amounts to 25,000 tons
- Installed capacity of thermal energy amounts to 13.3 MW
- Electrical energy generation capacity amounts to 3.3. MW
- Generates ca. 18 million kWh of electricity where the own consumption amounts to <5 million kWh
- The generated heat is fed to the district heating system